As the "company for women," with a network of six million Sales Representatives worldwide, Avon has the unique ability and commitment to educate and mobilize people on issues that are of vital importance to women. That's why global philanthropy is at our core as a company.
By combining the power of the individual and the collective power of our network into one powerful philanthropic force, together Avon and the Avon Foundation for Women –a U.S.-based public charity—are a global leader in philanthropy. This unique partnership of corporate philanthropy and a public charity is focused on two core areas: eradicating breast cancer and ending violence against women.
Today, Avon and the Avon Foundation for Women have made $1 billion in contributions dedicated to these causes. Funds are raised through cause-related product sales, AVON 39 The Walk To End Breast Cancer donations, and Avon Walk Around the World events. To date, the collective Avon efforts have educated nearly 175 million about breast cancer and domestic violence, and served nearly 30 million people through grants and outreach programs.
Despite many areas of progress, breast cancer and domestic violence remain prominent issues impacting women worldwide, with one in eight diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime, and one in three impacted by gender violence. Too many women continue to suffer, and too many victims are vividly aware of the pain of abuse. Together, Avon and the Avon Foundation for Women hope to change this—because even one is too many.
We are committed to working in every step of the way with various welfare initiatives and annual fundraising to fight against breast cancer.
PHILANTHROPIC EFFORTS BY AVON MALAYSIA
Kiss Goodbye to Breast Cancer Campaign
This social responsibility program by Avon Malaysia began way back in 1994 when AVON Malaysia launched the Early Breast Cancer Detection campaign also known as KEBAL with the objectives to create better awareness on breast cancer, educating women on the importance of early detection and to provide support services to breast cancer patients.
The program’s name was later changed to Kiss Goodbye to Breast Cancer or KGBC in August 2002, with the same objectives, which was launched by the Health Minister then.
With great support from Avon Representatives and Customers, Avon products sold from this program benefited the following beneficiaries:-
- 2003 - Donated a RM250,00 (USD72,000) Mammotome™ Breast Biopsy System to Hospital Putrajaya.
- 2004 - Donated an ultrasound scanner worth RM250,000 (USD72,000) to Hospital Putrajaya.
- 2005 - Sponsored the setting-up of a Breast Cancer Resource Centre at Universiti Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC) at the cost of RM100,000 (USD29,000). The centre has a counselling room, a computerised information centre complete with books and reference material for the benefit of breast cancer patients and survivors.
- 2006 - Donated RM100,000 (USD29,000) to the Breast Cancer Resource Centre of Universiti Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC) to help lighten the burden of lower-income breast cancer survivors who cannot afford the purchase of breast prosthesis and special undergarments worn after undergoing a mastectomy.
- 2007 - Donated RM100,000 (USD29,000) to the Breast Cancer Resource Centre of Universiti Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC) to help lighten the burden of lower-income breast cancer patients who cannot afford the costs of chemotheraphy and radiotheraphy treatments after undergoing surgeries.
- 2008 – Donated RM100, 000 to Hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia (HUSM) to set up breast cancer resource centre
- 2008 – Donated RM50, 000 for approximately 500 women from various NGO to enjoy free mammogram sessions at PRIMANORA Medical Centre.
- 2010 – Donated RM10,000 to Hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia (HUSM) to fund the running of the Breast Cancer Resource centre
- 2010 – Donated RM50,000 to Universiti Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC) for the breast Cancer survivorship program.
- 2012- Donated RM50,000 to Pink Charity and Breast Cancer Welfare Association.(BCWA)
- 2013- Donated RM100,000 to five NGOs to support Breast Cancer related activities and campaign
- 2017 – Donated RM100,000 to University Malaya Medical Center to support low income women for early diagnosis at the center.
Walk Around the World for Breast Cancer – Global Connection Pink Ribbon Tour 2007
A charity hi-tea themed Saving Lives Thru’ Early Detection’ was held at ShangriLa Hotel Kuala Lumpur on 28 June 2007. The objective was to raise funds to finance low budget breast health workshops at the grassroot communities in Malaysia. It was the first ever fundraising event organised by Avon Malaysia after attending a fundraising training in New York organised by Avon Foundation and American Cancer Society.
From the fundraising event, which started off with the USD15,000 grant received from Avon Foundation, we managed to raise RM127,212.25 (USD36,000). The funds will be used by BCWA’s volunteers to organise hands-on educational workshops at 25-odd locations in 2007/2008 to train women in the local communities on the importance of saving lives through early detection of breast cancer and the techniques of breast-self examinations. Those trained in these workshops will then be empowered to share the knowledge and skills with the members of their respective communities, particularly in smaller towns and rural villages.
The charity fundraising hi-tea was a partnership project between Avon Malaysia and its cancer league partner, Breast Cancer Welfare Association (BCWA) in collaboration with Avon Foundation and American Cancer Society - as part of the Walk Around the World for Breast Cancer worldwide program. It was generously supported by presenting sponsors, Novartis Oncology and Maritz.
Walk Around the World for Breast Cancer 2008
Held on 10th August 2008 at Taman Tasik Titiwangsa, 5000 walkers took part in the Avon Walk Around the World for Breast Cancer 2008 organised by Avon Malaysia. With a minimum of RM20 per enrolment, public were encouraged to join this non-competitive but fun and meaningful walk. Besides receiving an exclusive REEBOK Tee Shirt worth RM90 and an AVON goody bag worth RM50. The fun filled morning was carried out with lots of activities and games; not forgetting entertainment by celebrities. Adding on, the Ministry of Women, Family and Community Development also extend complimentary health screening to the public during the event. The event raised RM50, 000 for PRIDE Foundation, a non-government organisation for breast cancer cause.
Pink Ribbon Tour 2013- 2014
Avon hosted series of Pink Ribbon tour nationwide to share its support on breast cancer awareness campaign and encourage women to undergo breast-self exam. The aim is to educate women on early detection that could save life. The campaign was also supported by the Ministry of Women and its agencies during the tour. Avon products were sold to raise the fund during the tour and inside brochure campaigns.
Celebrating Breast Cancer Survivors 2015
Avon Malaysia partnered with Hospital Kuala Lumpur, Breast Cancer Welfare Association and National Cancer Society of Malaysia to celebrate 100 breast cancer survivors in conjunction of the newly set up Breast Cancer Center at the Hospital. The session showed Avon support to empower women with breast cancer to stay positive leading their next phase of life. Avon sold KGBC bracelet to support the awareness and fund raising campaign.
CSR donations during festive celebrations nationwide / Ihsan Aidilfitri Program
This community service project started in 2004 with the objectives to help out the needy and ease the burden of young orphans, as we value the bond of love and friendship between people and this is the best way for us to spread some happiness amongst the underprivileged.
- 2004 - RM30,000 (USD8500) was collected from the sale of Hari Raya CD and donated to 5 orphanages.
- 2005 - RM20,000 (USD6,000) was collected from the sale of Hari Raya CD and donated to 5 orphanages.
- 2006 - RM20,000 (USD6,000) was collected from the sale of Simply Pretty ColorBliss Lipstick and donated to 4 orphanages.
- 2007 - To generate another RM20,000 (USD6,000) from the sale of Hari Raya CD which will be donated to 4 orphanages.
- 2008 – To sell ‘Sajian Aidilfitri bersama Chef Wan’ recipe books and target to raise RM20, 000 for orphanages.
- 2014 – RM75,000 raised from products sold during Avon Raya campaign to 61 families nationwide celebrating Raya.
Avon Speak Out Against Domestic Violence
One in three women worldwide are affected by domestic and partner violence. Men can be victims of partner violence, too, but the vast majority of those affected are women, making this a vital issue for women and families worldwide.
We are dedicated to the empowerment of women globally and ending violence against women is a cause that’s integral to our philanthropy. Our Speak Out Against Domestic Violence initiative, which launched in 2004, focuses on education, prevention and victim support programs. Avon markets around the world raise funds and awareness to support programs aimed at ending family and gender violence.
AVON BREAST CANCER PROMISE, one of Avon’s global breast cancer initiative aims to help every woman know the risks, the signs and how to take action.